Tuesday, May 15, 2012

Lessons from a Silent River

"Thou hast taught me, Silent River!
Many a lesson, deep and long;
Thou hast been a generous giver;
I can give thee but a song."
 
Hi! I'm Ingrid, one of CRWA's Summer 2012 interns. I'm a rising senior at Brandeis University majoring in biology and anthropology with a minor in chemistry. The excerpt above was written by the famous American poet and Harvard professor Henry Wadsworth Longfellow (Ballads and Other Poems, 1842) and is an ode "To the River Charles." Living out his later years in a house (the Longfellow House - now a National Historic site!) overlooking the Charles, I'd say Longfellow got to know the river pretty well. His words perfectly describe what I hope to achieve this summer - the gift of learning from nature, great people, and a wonderful organization. My aim is leave in August with a stronger appreciation for the river I already admire and having given back to the beautiful river and community surrounding it. Henry Longfellow saw the value of the river 150 years ago, we see it now; let's make sure that people like us and Longfellow can enjoy it in the years to come!

No comments:

Post a Comment