Friday, October 21, 2011

Are you more creative than a 2nd Grader?

Yesterday, I had the thrill of being a special guest speaker for an adorable second grade class. I had spent the past few weeks preparing a presentation to teach the students about the importance and health of the Charles river. I wanted to make sure the kids found the information both informative as well as entertaining, for I feared they might not enjoy me or my power point. However, I am happy to say, I could not have been more wrong! The children were so excited to have a guest speaker come in and talk with them about the river. They were wonderfully interactive, with great questions, and the most creative ideas on how to improve the health of the river. Their energy was contagious, and by the end of the presentation I was inspired. Next week, I will make a second visit to the class to lead a small field trip. The second graders, along with their teachers, myself, and a few volunteers, will all head out along the streets of Beacon Hill in search of storm drains. Why, you may ask? Well, we will be stenciling beside the drains with "Don't Dump, this drains to the Charles." The stencils are a reminder and request for people not to pollute down the drains; and having the students actively out on the streets painting and participating gives the kids a great sense of accomplishment. It is the perfect combination of education, advocacy, and arts and crafts.

No comments:

Post a Comment