Thursday, May 31, 2012

Saving Moody Street?


Hi! My name is Cait (one of three Cait/Kate’s currently working at CRWA) and I am a summer watershed science intern. This is my third week interning at CRWA, and thus far, I have been working on "indoor" projects, such as writing an invasive aquatic plant field guide, and preparing for outdoor projects, such as Water Chestnut surveying and removal. However, last Friday, I went out in the field (or should I say, to the river) for the first time.
Mid-Friday afternoon, CRWA received a call reporting that there was oil in the Charles River near the Moody Street bridge in Waltham. Julie, our boss, instructed Evan (another intern) and me to investigate the potential oil spill and report back. Because this was my first time in the field, I was very excited, especially since we could be saving Moody Street, home to my favorite ice cream shop, Lizzy’s ( http://www.yelp.com/biz/lizzys-homemade-ice-cream-waltham), from what in my excited and slightly hyperbolic mind was an environmental disaster.
Camera in tow, we drove to the site. As we approached the river, we saw that both the Waltham Police Department and the Waltham Fire Department had also been called to the scene. Evan and I, and a few firemen and policemen, inspected the river, finding a milky substance along the bank. As new interns, our inspection was short and not that comprehensive. In other words, Evan took photos of the river, the substance, and a few particularly colorful ducks. After speaking with the policemen and firemen on the scene and a few curious onlookers, we headed back to the office. 


We uploaded the photos and discussed what we saw with our supervisor. While our supervisor did not think that the substance was oil, we reported the substance to the Massachusetts Department of Environmental Protection (For more information on reporting spills see http://www.mass.gov/dep/about/callnow.htm) just to be safe. MassDEP, who had also inspected the substance, confirmed that the it was caused by a natural process and was not oil.

While we did not save Moody Street from destruction, our short trip into the field was a nice break from office work and a great learning experience.

No comments:

Post a Comment