Friday, December 14, 2012

The Value of an Internship


My time here at CRWA is drawing to a close. Reflecting over all the things I’ve been a part of here and the time I’ve spent, I can safely say I am happy to have been an intern, even if I’m unpaid. Let me tell you why.

I graduated in May 2012 with a B.A. in environmental science, and since then I have been applying to jobs all over the country in this field. Having just left college, I obviously have no prior experience. Therein lies the catch 22. Everybody wants experience. Even entry-level openings want some experience… Wait, what? How can I get experience if nobody wants to hire me because of my lack of experience? The answer, my friends, is through an internship, like the one I have had here at CRWA.

Yes, I was unpaid. But I learned things and got the hands-on experience that everybody wants to see in a job candidate. I have been given amazing opportunities to get involved, like going out onto the Charles River to collect samples, working with Earthwatch, Inc., and teaching Girl Scouts about water cleanliness. And I got to do all this while working with the great staff of CRWA. Moreover, showing the initiative to work and learn at your own expense shows future employers you have a rare passion for your chosen career path. It’s not only a great learning opportunity, but it says a lot about your character that might otherwise go unsaid.

So, I guess what I’m trying to say is, don’t underestimate the power of an internship. I have learned so much during my time here at CRWA as an intern that I could not have learned otherwise. It was all worthwhile, and I had a fun time too. I am so thankful to CRWA for taking me on, with such enthusiasm and support, and I will miss being a member of this team! If any of you out there are considering an internship here, or even elsewhere, go for it. It’s a truly rewarding experience in so many different ways.

And with that, I bid you adieu. Good luck to the future interns, and have fun!
Meghan

…Seriously though, go apply for an internship! You know you want to!!

No comments:

Post a Comment